Grass Roots Meetings & Events is a successful and growing event agency. The registration and delegate management division is based in Fleet, Hampshire. We are recruiting for an experienced PHP Team lead / Senior developer, to work within our busy development team, producing complex, bespoke event registration websites, and sophisticated web based event management tools.
The role is to work with clients (internal & external) to analyse, recommend, design, develop, integrate, test, implement and support technology solutions. Able to fulfil these functions autonomously and has full responsibility and accountability for task management and delivery of solutions. Provide thought leadership and input into technology and business solutions. Be commercially aware and business focused. Mentor and guide developers.
You need to be self-motivated, enthusiastic, and flexible, have good time management skills and be capable of planning and working alone, and as part of team. You also need to be happy working within a deadline driven, pressured environment and as part of a high performing, focused and fun team.
The role will be to support and enhance an existing Zend Framework 2/3 that is used to create our client registration websites and associated toolsets. It will also involve creating other innovative technology solutions that support and enhance our client’s events. It will entail a mix of developing complex business logic & functionality, SQL database programming, intuitive user interfaces and general all round system development.
As well as good backend PHP & SQL experience, you must have good jQuery, HTML and CSS skills, and be able to produce well-presented and usable, user interfaces. Any strong front end skills would be a definite advantage for this role.
Due to the nature of the business, on rare occasions some UK or international travel may be required.
- Be part of, and lead if required, any architecture, hosting, system administration and database administration initiatives, including strategy, roadmap, design, administration and support activities
- Developing new features and supporting the existing tools as required
- Check and verify that solutions the developers produce, are to the correct standards of quality. Monitor rework and bug fixes that occur, spot trends and implement changes to mitigate, to increase future quality
- Ensure requirements are properly articulated and support the team in making appropriate and realistic estimates
- Identify and recommend any improvement for process or solution
- Identify and advocate potential process and tooling improvements.
- Manage developers and give guidance, to ensure they create solutions, to scope, time and budget, that are produced to the standards defined in the company development methodology, using efficient, scalable, re-usable code; together with good user interfaces and experiences, and wherever possible, designed to be generic and self-service for the users
Essential Skills and experience:
- Demonstrable 5+ years of experience in web development
- Object Oriented PHP 5 Web Programming
- Zend Framework 2/3
- HTML 5, JQuery & CSS3
- Git version control, related processes, e.g. Gitflow, and hosting
- Relational databases and SQL (ideally Oracle)
- Ability to understand and develop complex business logic
- Ability to plan and prioritise tasks, anticipate problems and act to minimize risks. Manage time effectively
- Ability to interact with stakeholders across all areas of the business
- Ability to work in an Agile and Waterfall environment
Ideal Skills and experience:
- Strong frontend skills (particular experience in producing well-presented user interface and experiences)
- Experience of NoSQL database (design, setup and administration)
- Node.js or similar experience
- Look for better/more efficient ways of working
- Understand the commercial implications of actions
- Continuous deployment knowledge
- Unit testing – PHPUnit skills
If you feel that describes you and you are inspired to be part of our future we would love to hear from you.